Navigation
Lupe Luxe
Lupe Luxe - Yay or nay?
Yay or nay?
Advertiser
Joined:
8 Aug 2019
Posts to Date: 1311
  View Profile  
Posted: 2020-05-22 09:37:14

Asking people you barely know ...

1) how much they bought their house for?.
2) how much they got their car for?.
3) how much they make?.
4) how much they pay for rent?.

You get the pattern...I say NO BIG NO. Why do we ask these things? According to my principles, it's rude and disrespectful to question about people's finances.

The only time I'd ask someone "how much did you pay for it?" Would be if they came running with excitement to me, telling me about their new asset... Then I might be interested in buying it too.

I'd only ask because of how close we are or if it's an item that doesn't cost much.

I think these questions are kinda private. I thought everyone felt the same??

What do I know!.
UnlikelySuspect
UnlikelySuspect - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Basic Member
Joined:
23 Mar 2012
Posts to Date: 873
View Profile
Posted: 2020-05-22 09:46:43

I don't see the problem to ask. If someone does not want to answer, then they can say so. The problem is that many people take offence if someone is direct, but if a question is asked and someone does not want to disclose the info, they should be able to say so without anybody being offended. This is what I would like to see in society.
Lupe Luxe
Lupe Luxe - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Advertiser
Joined:
8 Aug 2019
Posts to Date: 1312
  View Profile  
Posted: 2020-05-22 09:50:03
Edited: 2020-05-22 09:52:44

On 2020-05-22 09:46:43 UnlikelySuspect said:
I don't see the problem to ask. If someone does not want to answer, then they can say so. The problem is that many people take offence if someone is direct, but if a question is asked and someone does not want to disclose the info, they should be able to say so without anybody being offended. This is what I would like to see in society.



Okay. Noted

I take offense in such questions I actually have to suppress my immediate response because it may not be polite. Eventually, I feel cornered to provide those figures or just laugh.

I'm never ready for such questions because I assume no one would ask. X
Kooni
Kooni - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Gold Member
Joined:
18 Jun 2019
Posts to Date: 1211
View Profile
Posted: 2020-05-22 09:56:59
Edited: 2020-05-22 09:58:01

Nothing wrong in asking for the price of a house / car , or the amount of rent you pay, but definitely not one's income, religion, political affiliations. That is a total "no-go" area for me.


Need4Passion
Need4Passion - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Basic Member
Joined:
8 Jan 2014
Posts to Date: 1847
View Profile
Posted: 2020-05-22 09:59:50

On 2020-05-22 09:46:43 UnlikelySuspect said:
I don't see the problem to ask. If someone does not want to answer, then they can say so. The problem is that many people take offence if someone is direct, but if a question is asked and someone does not want to disclose the info, they should be able to say so without anybody being offended. This is what I would like to see in society.



I'm off the same opinion now. Used to think it was rude but the truth is you're just saving someone Google time.

The price of house is public knowledge. Anyone can go to a deeds registery and get the exact amount for any property and the owners or pay a few rand and get everything from how many rooms to how much it's worthwhile and how much bond left and which bank etc.

As far as rent, well pretty much all the units in a place are usually similarly priced so that question usually comes with someone just wanting to know if the getting robbed paying a higher price or if they can afford to live there.

As far as car prices, all manufacturers have the prices of the cars on their websites. AA, TransUnion, as well as the trade in book, and all insurance companies share these prices and it's pretty standard. All you're telling them is something they can Google or if you got a better deal or maybe you paid too much.

The how much you make though has some relevance though as there's risks of being a target for crime or someone pricing according to your affordability but usually of no consequence if the person you're telling it to also tells you or earns more than you. Then again you have to disclose that to all the institution's you take credit from and even your landlord if you renting.
Kimmylee
Kimmylee - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Advertiser
Joined:
14 May 2014
Posts to Date: 6049
  View Profile  
Posted: 2020-05-22 10:02:59

On 2020-05-22 09:46:43 UnlikelySuspect said:
I don't see the problem to ask. If someone does not want to answer, then they can say so. The problem is that many people take offence if someone is direct, but if a question is asked and someone does not want to disclose the info, they should be able to say so without anybody being offended. This is what I would like to see in society.



You took the words right out of my mouth.

On a side note, it would nice to see that on this forum as well. I could do with less fighting now and an added dose of good debate and laughter for just a little while longer.

By the way, interesting thread Lupe Luxe.
UnlikelySuspect
UnlikelySuspect - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Basic Member
Joined:
23 Mar 2012
Posts to Date: 876
View Profile
Posted: 2020-05-22 10:06:45

Someone not liking to be asked specific questions is not a problem, and they also do not have to give the answer. My view is more than I would like to see a society where it is ok to be forward and direct, without either party getting offended. I ask, you say no, I move on and we chat about something else as normal. It just saves time and everbody knows where they stand instead of the endless pussy footing around what offends people. I have spent quite a bit of time around Dutch people, and they are mostly like this and I quite like it. It obviously takes some getting used to because we are not used to this here in SA.
Lupe Luxe
Lupe Luxe - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Advertiser
Joined:
8 Aug 2019
Posts to Date: 1314
  View Profile  
Posted: 2020-05-22 10:08:34

Gentleman, I get what you mean. My question is why do we ask these questions? Or are we looking for lies?

We all know society weighs people based on monetary value. That's why I don't like these questions. Of course, sometimes one can tell it's innocent.

I'm more of a google person... if you feel nosey...google it?
Sabrina @ Be-sensual
Sabrina @ Be-sensual - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Advertiser
Joined:
5 Nov 2019
Posts to Date: 47
  View Profile  
Posted: 2020-05-22 10:09:32

@Lupe Luxe

Absolute NAY

I find it to be extremely tacky, unless (as you said) it is an item I'm interested in purchasing. X
UnlikelySuspect
UnlikelySuspect - Re: Yay or nay?
Re: Yay or nay?
Basic Member
Joined:
23 Mar 2012
Posts to Date: 877
View Profile
Posted: 2020-05-22 10:12:57

On 2020-05-22 10:08:34 Lupe Luxe said:
Gentleman, I get what you mean. My question is why do we ask these questions? Or are we looking for lies?

We all know society weighs people based on monetary value. That's why I don't like these questions. Of course, sometimes one can tell it's innocent.

I'm more of a google person... if you feel nosey...google it?



You will have all sorts of reasons why people would ask, some would by nosey or curious, some would have other agendas, some might just be interested. No blanket reason I think

Reply

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend


Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.