Anyone else afraid to expose themselves at hospitals for medical procedures due to Corona? Don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of the procedures, just concerned about the exposure?
Arz
Louise ( Miss Red)
Louise ( Miss Red) -
Re: Delaying urgent medical procedures due to Corona
Re: Delaying urgent medical procedures due to Corona
Arz.... The other reason you may want to delay a non-critical hospital procedure until after the pandemic has died down and especially if it escalates to horrendous proportions, God forbid, is that you may be using up a bed needed by a virus patient.
kgf
kgf -
Re: Delaying medical procedures due to Coronavirus
Re: Delaying medical procedures due to Coronavirus
It's scary times for everyone and since the presidential speech on Sunday evening the protocols have changed on a daily basis. I had a scare because a family member got a message they may have been exposed. I told my boss and he asked me to see the doctor. I was getting nervous because when I called my GP's practice I was told by a receptionist that they don't test for Corona at all and I must call my nearest hospital or clinic. When I called the nearest hospital they were friendly and transferred me to the E.R.
The best and most accurate advice I got was when I called my medical aid (Discovery) and they have a whole department dealing Covid19 queries, I was told that if I feel I may have been exposed but am not showing symptoms then my GP can't refuse to see me. Tests at the hospitals will only be conducted with a letter from the GP after being screened (same as usual checkup but with checking for fever). I was asked to self isolate (voluntary quarantine) for 72 hours and was given an antibiotic (procedure). I had to take my temp every 6 hours for 72 hours. When arriving at the GP, there was a table outside with people asking questions about your travels etc. Family member tested negative but I still had to stay in quarantine for the full 72 hours, The scary part for someone without medical aid is that if you feel you can't trust state facilities (I've been there and it's scary) it cost you a trip to the GP and if the symptoms get worse you then go for the test which costs R1400. I know this is hind sight but if the government legalized the industry then perhaps more ladies could afford health care and other benefits like UIF etc.
Mr3
Mr3 -
Re: Delaying medical procedures due to Coronavirus
Re: Delaying medical procedures due to Coronavirus
On 2020-03-21 23:58:47 Seopesesa said: I beg to differ. Hospitals are actually the places where hygiene is taken extremely serious. Most private hospitals in event.
I don't think you understand the complexity of this virus sir
Johnny English
Johnny English -
Re: Delaying medical procedures due to Coronavirus
Re: Delaying medical procedures due to Coronavirus
Personally, I would delay any medical procedure at most hospitals, unless it was absolutely critical (to be defined), not because of the Coronavirus fear but because hospitals are breeding grounds for infections and superbugs.
In the late 70's doctors in Los Angeles County went on strike which resulted in about a 20% drop in mortality. As soon as the strike was over, the death rate went back to normal. Same thing happened in Israel in 2000.
You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only
takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please
log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.