Navigation
[deleted]
[deleted] - Currency!
Currency!
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2016-08-10 12:23:15

I wondering if any clever/economist people an tell me what they suspect the dollar exchange rate will do in near future?
Mr Bond
Mr Bond - Re: Currency!
Re: Currency!
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 965
View Profile
Posted: 2016-08-10 12:36:14

Gee toyboy01

I'm no economist or seasoned currency trader, but that's a difficult one to call. My guess and it is just a guess, regarding the long-term prognosis for the Rand/US Dollar exchange rate, is that the Rand will continue to weaken in relation to the US Dollar.

The near future? Given that the Rand has strengthened significantly in the last few weeks or so, who knows?
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Currency!
Less than 100 posts
Posted: 2016-08-10 12:54:41

Hi

As a long term outlook we are considered as a relatively stable market with no major risks. Our growth is a significant damper however and that forces people into other emerging markets such as India etc. Hence our government bonds will hold fairly stable but the JSE will see some ebb and flow.

How does this impact currency? It's based on the market and consumer outlook of the country. Ratings agencies should hold stable for another year which will also aid the rand gaining some strength back but long term(2-3 years)we are predicting it to settle at the 12-13 rand per dollar level. If you want to make some money put it in bonds for a stable return and more long term go with gold, can never go wrong.
kameshang
kameshang - Re: Currency!
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 899
View Profile
Posted: 2016-08-10 13:03:37

According to a source I got forecast is for Rand dollar to go to strengthen to up to r10.50 or r10 in next quarter sometime. But only time will tell.
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2016-08-10 13:33:01

Usually here by 25 of every month it turns in 14 Rand vs the dollar.I think it will go to 12 something and settle that shit
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2016-08-10 13:36:02

I bought Euros at R 18-00.

No comment from me.

Cheers
Ben Layden
Ben Layden - Re: Currency!
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 3705
View Profile
Posted: 2016-08-10 20:28:19

The current 'strength' of the Rand is more a consequence of two things:
USD weakness and Brexit.

The long term trend is for the rand to weaken because of the inflation rate differential betwixt SA and the developed countries.

In my opinion , based purely on fundamentals, the dec downgrade is inevitable.
Which will weaken our currency.
Nitram29
Nitram29 - Re: Currency!
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 99
View Profile
Posted: 2016-08-10 21:46:32

Wow , I'm glad I dont use this site for investment advice , bonds in a rising intrest rate cycle ,ouch . Gold no intrest payments , no dividends no rental , hedge for global inflation - the problem isnt inflation its deflation

PPP great theory , unfortunatly the SA economy is rougly 12 Billion per day so fundementals cover that part of the economy , but Zar trade is R350 bill a day , so fundamentals actually plays a small part in determing the value of the rand

My last post on investments and matters of economics - promise
Nitram29
Nitram29 - Re: Currency!
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 100
View Profile
Posted: 2016-08-10 21:56:25

Ben the PPP or big Mac long trend for rand is roughly at the low 9' , saw a report that speculates that the rand will actualy strenthen after re - rating , the rand is so severly under valued that down grading will bring a level of certainty and improve the rand - not sure I believe that but fair point
JetFuel
JetFuel - Re: Currency!
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 27
View Profile
Posted: 2016-08-10 22:01:44

This is so hard to predict - click on this site longforecast.com/fx/us-dollar-to-south-african-rand-usd-zar-forecast-for-2015-2016-and-2017.html

Completely different to what the authors above have been saying????

JetFuel

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.