Ben Layden
Ben Layden - Re: Movies about the industry
Re: Movies about the industry
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 3152
View Profile
Posted: 2015-10-08 08:15:35

We are a nation of illiterates.

Reading is considered something you did at school- something "uncool".
... and mercifully forgot when you left school.
This forum is a microcosm of what our English reading and comprehension has descended to.
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Movies about the industry
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-08 08:19:44

On 2015-10-08 08:15:35 Ben Layden said:
We are a nation of illiterates.

Reading is considered something you did at school- something "uncool".
... and mercifully forgot when you left school.
This forum is a microcosm of what our English reading and comprehension has descended to.

For once I agree with you bhai
Michelle
Michelle - Re: Movies about the industry
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 154
  View Profile  
Posted: 2015-10-08 08:34:34

I have always loved reading. In school when things got particularly tough at home, reading was my escape and comfort. It improved my spelling and my grammer and today I am thankful for that as it was beneficial when I had a office job. Today I still read and would encourage many to at least try with something easy and then a little more deeper and so forth. The choices are so vast that I can not believe that their is not something out their for everyone to read
Ben Layden
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 3153
View Profile
Posted: 2015-10-08 18:48:26

[QUOTE;The choices are so vast that I can not believe that their is not something out their for everyone to read [/QUOTE]

Ma'am you cannot use the possessive adjective "their" when the correct word should be the adverb "there".

But 'tis true, medieval English literature is not everyone's cup of tea.
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-08 20:07:05

While I must admit I don't buy as many actual paperback novels as I did before I think I actually read more...
I think the iPad was the best invention ever for the modern traveller and i have amassed a very healthy 1400 books in my library without having to actually load many heavy books into my luggage.

That said, I still love buying really beautiful coffee table books, and other really interesting tomes for when I have time to bask in the sun on my veranda.
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-08 21:36:48

On 2015-10-08 20:07:05 deamonza said:
While I must admit I don't buy as many actual paperback novels as I did before I think I actually read more...
I think the iPad was the best invention ever for the modern traveller and i have amassed a very healthy 1400 books in my library without having to actually load many heavy books into my luggage.

That said, I still love buying really beautiful coffee table books, and other really interesting tomes for when I have time to bask in the sun on my veranda.

I have about 3500+ ebooks/novels downloaded. Geuss what, could not read a single one on my iPad nor Kindle. Reason being i enjoy holding a new book paperback or hardcover in my hands and I love the smell of the pages. Im probably too old school to adapt to reading a novel on an electronic device lounging by the pool.

Ben Layden
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 3155
View Profile
Posted: 2015-10-08 21:44:57
Edited: 2015-10-08 21:46:52

My sentiment exactly Ash1.

Yesterday I bought Gilbert White's
"The Natural History of Selborne"
at the Exclusive Books sale.

Exquisitely beautifully written!
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-08 21:47:35

Huh? Exclusive Books has a sale on? Jirre, now you tell me. Gotto make a turn tomorrow in Sandton City.
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-08 22:41:05

If I didn't spend so much of my life traveling I would buy more paperbacks, absolutely better then any e-reader... that new book smell. The feel of really nice paper. That comfortable feeling when you settle in with an old dog eared and worn favorite (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)... Just can't be beat.

That being said, there is no way I could travel with the amount books I go through... Before the iPad I spent a fortune simply giving away books when I travelled as I just didn't have enough space or I was over the luggage weight limit so they were always dropped off at the closest school.
Naledi
Naledi - Re: Movies about the industry
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 1875
  View Profile  
Posted: 2015-10-09 07:12:02

@Ash1 I dont think its an old school thing. I dont like ebooks either

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.