Navigation
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Movies about the industry
Re: Movies about the industry
Less than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-07 10:24:22
Edited: 2015-10-07 10:25:12

@Naledi, it will be worth talking to someone in the publishing industry. There are different ways to publish these days, you can even self publish or perhaps release it as an e-book. I'm not sure, I am no expert, but it is definitely worth having a chat with someone that is to understand what the options are.

I would be more interested in doing a fictional story, not biography, with inspiration from real wg experiences. It may not even be a story purely about the industry, but will definitely feature characters from the industry that are portrayed in a more realistic manner, ie strong, independent women, and not drug addicted victims standing on the street corner.
kameshang
kameshang - Re: Movies about the industry
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 567
View Profile
Posted: 2015-10-07 16:31:12
Edited: 2015-10-07 16:51:15

Sean I hope that means their'lle be a movie about lolly. He was definetly larger than life. I read and got his autobiography vincent did an awesome job of it. I even met vincent what a gud guy he seems to be and his ultra informative and helpful. Naledi if u really intrested in writing a book speak to him his very helpful I'lle even share his details with u.
SeanDivine
SeanDivine - Re: Movies about the industry
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 717
View Profile
Posted: 2015-10-07 16:43:16

Hey Kam,

Yes there is a movie but it is based on the book I did on Lolly, When Fantasy Becomes Reality. The movie is being made by John Barker a great South African Director, 31 Million Reasons, Bunny Chow and Spud 3 among others.

Vince is a great guy, a true gentleman.

The publishing industry is cut throat and they are reluctant to bank on an unknown entity.

To give you an idea, our Lolly book was rejected by Penguin and others, Jacana eventually published us. It was by South African standards (5000 was a best seller at that stage now 3000 due to market of readers) a massive success, financially though you make very little. We sold in excess of 30 000 copies and that brought my co-author and I into a realm where Penguin signed us for the Glenn Agliotti Biography.

Once again a best seller and a much better experience than the first but you have to put the graft in to get the right publisher and sometimes that means eating crap somewhere else first.

We still have one book left on our contract so after that who knows what happens.

If you do do it then do it for love nothing else, it won't pay the bills.

Regards
Sean
Venus
Venus - Re: Movies about the industry
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 20
  View Profile  
Posted: 2015-10-07 19:03:22

Another Lovely Series to watch and it actually gives every lady some amazing tips: Secret Diary of a call girl

Regards Venus
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-07 21:02:49

@Sean, must be awesome that your book is being turned into a movie, I hope they do a great job.
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-07 21:08:11

By the way, your next book should be on the Czech that tried to escape.
SeanDivine
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 718
View Profile
Posted: 2015-10-07 21:48:32

@Longjon it is a great feeling, but have seen it is a long process, the rights where purchased three years ago and filming only scheduled for early next year so it is a process, have already seen a couple drafts of the script so roll on Friday for the final.

As for the next book, we dealt with the Czech quite a bit in the last book with a full chapter dedicated so yes it seems there is a whole book waiting as a follow on as a lot has happened in the last three years.

Regards
Sean
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-07 22:27:55

Yo Sean, did you write your Lolly J book by doing loads of research or by writing from your personal interactions with him?

Its interesting that you say its not profitable. Then how do SA authors survive?

If Fifty Shades of Shit can make a mediocre horrible writer a billionare it makes me wonder. One needs to hit that sweet spot of what the idiots out there want to read.

I want to write a book about my experiences as a charou punter. The entire draft is in my head i just have to transfer it to paper. I even have a draft title: "Salaam Bombay, Tikka Masala Lingam". Title may change to suit target markets.

Not sure if ebook route or traditional publishing will net me my millions. Next Harry Potter, like a boss.

SeanDivine
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 719
View Profile
Posted: 2015-10-08 07:14:01

Hey Ash,

Most South African authors have what is termed a day job, it is sad but the numbers in this country who read are particularly low. Enough so that if a publisher hits that 3000 mark they are super excited.

As an example my first print run for Lolly was 15 000 considered a high number. Now it doesn't seem that way but it is estimated that only 3% of the population actually reads.

Now take that and put it at 1% of those actually buy the book the rest loan it from a friend.

As an author your percentages are around 10% of net increasing up on numbers sold.

50 Shades and the rest went viral and that is when the money comes into play. You have as much chance of winning the lotto of that happening on a global scale.

As for the book on Lolly it was a mix of personal experience and massive research in order for us to give an all round story.

books.google.co.za/books

Regards
Sean
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2015-10-08 07:59:18
Edited: 2015-10-08 08:00:06

Interesting. What about guys like JM Coetzee and Andre Brink. I think its about international exposure.

I dont know anything about publishing but i appreciate good writing. I think i have 2 or 3 good books in me. Maybe should put pen to paper or rather fingers to laptop and churn out a few stories. Salaam Bombay will be a once off fiction inspired by real events. And i have an idea for a trilogy.

Kak thing about ebook publishing is that you really dont get a cent. Like you say it needs to be a passion, labour of love.

Now the question is how does one make somethin go viral? Wannabe J.K Rowling here boss

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.