Arhwen - Re: Money and Happiness
Re: Money and Happiness
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 2906
  View Profile  
Posted: 2016-09-10 21:55:59
Edited: 2016-09-10 21:58:50

On 2016-09-10 10:20:15 Sibyl said:
In a modern urban society, money is unfortunately a necessary evil. You need money to have a roof over your head, to eat and to pay your bills. Lack of money and the resultant stress that comes with that, will make any person miserable to a certain degree. So in a sense, money does buy happiness in that it can alleviate stress, but conversely having lots of money and assests, does not necessarily guarantee happiness.

The problem is that most people equate their own self worth in terms of wealth and assets, always competing with their peers, perpetuating the notion that to be happy you have to have lots of money. Ironically, this endless race in itself, can result in alot of stress and unhappiness, because most times people over extend themselves, just to maintain the illusion of prosperity. So it becomes a vicious circle.

Personally, I'm not into diamonds and pearls, fur coats and flashy cars. I live a frugal simple life and I'm debt free. I do not care if my friends or neighbors have more than me, because at the end of the day I know that what I have in terms of family, love, peace and happiness, is worth far more than the greatest wealth on earth. Besides, when we die, we are all equal in terms of wealth, as none of us can take it with us on our journey to the other side.......

*like*

My initial post in depth.
Lacy Fox
Lacy Fox - Re: Money and Happiness
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 11
  View Profile  
Posted: 2016-09-11 12:37:24

I would rather be misrable in a porshe, drinking my moet.
If im unhappy have a doc prescribe me some happy thangs.
Should I be bored and unhappy in jhb money can buy me happiness in cpt.
Lol buy a few pretty boys,buy hot lingerie,buy fast cars but sum tits.
Hell,I just mentioned all my happiness ;-)
Hoping to win the lotto one day,its been a very long wait thus far.
Bbw Nadia
Bbw Nadia - Re: Money and Happiness
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 1469
  View Profile  
Posted: 2016-09-12 09:10:52

I'm not too sure how I feel about the subject.
You all know my bestie died 3 months ago, a desperately unhappy woman. At the time I said she was the epitomy of 'money can't buy happiness'. Now 3 months after her death I'm trying to wind up her affairs. And guess what, she wasn't the wealthy woman she pretended to be. So why was she such a tragic figure ....she had money till about a year ago and she was unhappy even then. She lived the last year pretending she was doing well. She had no money, she was unhappy. Clearly her unhappiness had to do with more than money. Our friendship was at its best and most fun when she was at her poorest. When we used to jazz up old outfits with some beads, mix 2 half btls old cutex to make the latest summer colours, cut off the worn out edges of jeans to make them capri pants, dying dull white clothes with tea to make it beige and wearable for another year..
So my conclusion is, as said earlier, 'contentment is what I should be striving for.
jackd14u
jackd14u - Re: Money and Happiness
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 227
View Profile
Posted: 2016-09-12 11:43:35

Happiness is a state of mind - All money does is widen ones options. The rest is up to each of us to decide how we shall live and behave
Arhwen
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 2953
  View Profile  
Posted: 2016-09-12 11:46:51

On 2016-09-12 11:43:35 jackd14u said:
Happiness is a state of mind - All money does is widen ones options. The rest is up to each of us to decide how we shall live and behave

*like*
johndoe69za
johndoe69za - Re: Money and Happiness
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 352
View Profile
Posted: 2016-09-12 15:10:27

As the gap between the haves and the have nots grows (worldwide this has happened) it will be interesting and scary to think that a breaking point will be reached. It is impossible for everyone to be rich as you need the poor to maintain a rich lifestyle, where else do you get your serfs from if you do not. The balance though may have tipped a bit to far and that is of great concern for your children and your children's children.

Money does buy a great deal of things but it does not buy health (ask Steve Jobs).
Mujahid001
Mujahid001 - Re: Money and Happiness
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 2223
View Profile
Posted: 2016-09-19 09:56:30

It's debatable whether money can buy happiness. The only sure thing is that money can surely buy you plenty of good sex no matter how ugly you are.
Arhwen
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 3079
  View Profile  
Posted: 2016-09-20 07:02:23

Lol @ Mujahid :)
Anna-lisa
Anna-lisa - Re: Money and Happiness
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 1
  View Profile  
Posted: 2016-10-06 23:13:14

Money can't buy happiness because happiness is not for sale. But money can buy things that will make you happy for a period of time how long will all depend on your conscious. That's my take my angels
Azizi
Azizi - Re: Money and Happiness
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 34
  View Profile  
Posted: 2016-10-11 17:11:00

On 2016-09-11 12:37:24 Lacy Fox said:
I would rather be misrable in a porshe, drinking my moet.
If im unhappy have a doc prescribe me some happy thangs.
Should I be bored and unhappy in jhb money can buy me happiness in cpt.
Lol buy a few pretty boys,buy hot lingerie,buy fast cars but sum tits.
Hell,I just mentioned all my happiness ;-)
Hoping to win the lotto one day,its been a very long wait thus far.

Lady fox i couldnt agree more
Ooh yeah my kind of lady...hehehehehe

Miss A

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.