mrsuperduper
mrsuperduper - Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 139
View Profile
Posted: 2015-02-28 19:11:55

Support, please help to resolve this.
I am not going to be renewing my Gold membership if I cannot view the site correctly.
mrsuperduper
mrsuperduper - Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 140
View Profile
Posted: 2015-03-04 06:53:18

Is this being attended to?
On Monday the site displayed a bit better (with purple background, just not 100% formatted).
From yesterday it's back to white with no formatting.
Everything is LEFT indented.
A reply would be decent. considering that I am a paying member.
someyoungguy
someyoungguy - Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 18
View Profile
Posted: 2015-03-04 09:43:42

The mobile version of the site is working (mostly fine)...with the desktop version not working across multiple browsers, different internet connections and clearing cache.

Something is definitely wrong here...
ESADevelopment
ESADevelopment - Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 514
View Profile
Posted: 2015-03-04 09:49:20

Hi mrsuperduper

We wouldn't work hard on the design of the site only to leave out the most important design file - the CSS file. Without this file, the site turns white with all the text left aligned, exactly like you describe. If we caused the problem, this thread would have had minute-by-minute complaints.

SOLUTION:

As this problem is beyond our control (it happens at ISP level like I describe below) I took a ten ton hammer to fix the problem. I completely renamed our CSS file. You may ask any web developer, it's quite a drastic move, but we'll do anything we can to help you.

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?

My guess is that your ISP's proxy server (the server that helps your ISP save bandwidth) for some reason could not find our CSS file. It could have been at 1am in the morning while we were working on the server, and it was quite possibly inaccessible for less than 5 minutes.

On the next request for the file, instead of asking our server for the file again, it just incorrectly remembered "this file does not exist, I'm not going to ask for it again". That type of "remembering" is allowed, but only for a short period of time. It seems like your ISP's bandwidth saving server is trying way too hard to save bandwidth. I don't think this is on purpose and could simply be a small mistake in their configuration.

This also explains why only you and about 3 other people are having this issue.

Please let me know if this solved your problem.

Regards

James
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Less than 40 posts
Posted: 2015-03-04 09:57:29

Hi

I find the white and left indented view of ESA tends to happen when I have a slow Internet connection and if it loads like that a refresh of the page will nor help as it has been cached. Exit, clear cache etc and then reconnect with a faster connection (hopefully) and it is back to purple.

Not sure if that helps or not....
ESADevelopment
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 515
View Profile
Posted: 2015-03-04 11:02:17

Just a quick note to everyone. The site showed all white/no text from exactly 10:59am at 11:00am. This was not the same problem, but it was a consequence of me trying to rename files for mrsuperduper to force his ISP's proxy server to fetch the right files. This happened for less than a minute.
Stem
Stem - Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 563
View Profile
Posted: 2015-03-04 12:11:55

Well... suddenly the site displays correctly for me on my 5 different browsers across 1PC, 1 laptop, 1 smartphone and 2 tablets. Prior to this it would only display (and not even all the time) on my smartphone.

This has been an issue for the past week - not just something for 1 minute.
someyoungguy
someyoungguy - Re: ESA website displaying strangely
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 19
View Profile
Posted: 2015-03-04 13:03:32

Pretty sure it wasn't a proxy issue - I tried this as per my previous post from multiple devices and different ISPs (some of which are not even in this country) and all had the same. If everyone else's was showing fine it was because they had the site cached whereas I tend to browse InPrivate/Incognito which downloads the page and its contents fresh each and every time. The only device that worked (for the most part) were mobile devices (phones and tablets) and even then it wasn't a consistent experience.
ESADevelopment
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 516
View Profile
Posted: 2015-03-04 13:37:16

@stem: I think I was misunderstood.

Issue A: This is the issue where the site was not displaying correctly for a few users. Symptoms: You see the text of the site left aligned and a white background. It is something that can only be seen by a few users.

Issue B: While I was trying to sort out Issue A, I REALLY broke the site for everyone for one minute. Symptoms: The entire site was white, no text, empty response. Nothing showing. It was something that could be seen by everyone everywhere.

I was acknowledging issue B was a problem for 1 minute.

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.