Navigation
NickNailer
NickNailer - Question for the IT guys n gals
Question for the IT guys n gals
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 57
View Profile
Posted: 2024-01-27 10:32:35

Something weird has happened in my insta feed. 1 lady that I visited in menlyn came up on my insta as a suggested contact. Then another lady from the sandton area who I haven't visited but whatsapped on mu punting phone also came up on my insta as a suggestion to follow. Any idea how this could happen or is it just random
Sensual Chanel
Sensual Chanel - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 667
  View Profile  
Posted: 2024-01-27 10:44:42
Edited: 2024-01-27 10:54:07

It is the same with Facebook as well. I think it is once you save the number than they come up as suggestions. Well if that number is linked to your social media. Don't think something funny is happening.
TigerSweets
TigerSweets - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 109
View Profile
Posted: 2024-01-27 10:55:24

Never use your personal number, get a punting SIM. If you don't wanna risk family or work discovering your side hobby.
majorjohn
majorjohn - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 842
View Profile
Posted: 2024-01-27 11:08:29

They can also connect you on other information like GPS location. Your location and which wifi networks your phone can see, they have unique identifiers is harvested and resold. All that information is used to connect you to other people.

Social media is becoming an increasingly bad idea.
Ashleigh
Ashleigh - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 652
  View Profile  
Posted: 2024-01-27 11:33:40
Edited: 2024-01-27 11:36:21

Algorithm. All social media platforms use metrics like your mutual friends, contacts you have saved on your phone, your profile data (places of education, places of employment, similar interests etc.), and your location to suggest "friends" and pages to you.

The algorithm suggests people it thinks you may know based on metrics. The easiest way to be seeing WGs on your social media is by having their number saved on your phone that they have linked to their ESA profile and have then created a social media account registered to that same number, or by having one of their "friend's" numbers saved to your phone and then the metrics suggests their mutual friends to you etc...

Good reason why guys and girls should use burner SIMs and phones for this industry and their stage names on social media. If your real name is linked to your cell number and you use it in this space, people will find out your personal information through social media when your face pops up there and they recognise you.

Some ladies do use their work numbers to open social media accounts with their stage names to promote their content and services. Never ever use your private number for your ad or punting if it's linked to your private social media with personal details.
NickNailer
NickNailer - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 58
View Profile
Posted: 2024-01-27 11:48:33

I have separate phones and a burner sim. No social media on the punting phone either. Using a punting email address to and no numbers are saved to the cloud. All numbers are on the phone so if I lose the phone bye bye contacts. Could be the location history cos I obviously have both phones when I went there. I think I'll switch off my normal phone when I go for a punt then. Thanks for the info all
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Less than 5 posts
Posted: 2024-01-27 11:55:41

Maybe because you saved their contact number and you have synced your contacts on Instagram.
NickNailer
NickNailer - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 60
View Profile
Posted: 2024-01-27 12:22:48

Nope didn't do that. Anyway insta isn't on my punting phone so still think it's cos or the gps. The one lady runs another business and that could have triggered that one. The other lady is in a venue I've been to before but not seen the lady that popped in my insta. That's why I think it's the gps doing something with the algorithm
latexmale
latexmale - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 398
View Profile
Posted: 2024-01-27 12:33:32

Hmmm when you set up your burner phone did you create a new Google Log-on. One that is based on a different email? If not and you used the same credentials to sign your phone onto the play store etc to download things like Whatsapp. Think you know what happened next Google is swing the two phones and locations and making suggestions on where either has been.
J_J
J_J - Re: Question for the IT guys n gals
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 285
View Profile
Posted: 2024-01-27 12:42:23

Sounds like Nick's been nailed, lol

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.