Navigation
Tegwane
Tegwane - Matric
Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1589
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 12:48:50

My mates son got his bachelor certificate so he can now study anything he wants. She tells me that if you get a lesser certificate you can only study for certain degrees? Surely if you pay for the degree you can study anything you want, bar medical degrees. If you fail it's your money you are wasting, surely?
semensquirter
semensquirter - Re: Matric
Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 5259
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 12:56:58
Edited: 2020-01-08 12:58:17

Most, if not all universities work on a points system.
You need to get a certain number of points to gain entry into a specific field.
The standard national certificate does not tally with enough points to qualify for most courses at most universities....so that's why it's limited for those that have the"Lesser Certificate"

You know the old Standard Grade and Higher Grade???...same thing
or Exemption and Senior Certificate.
iloveagoodshag
iloveagoodshag - Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 19
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 13:15:13

On 2020-01-08 12:48:50 Tegwane said:
My mates son got his bachelor certificate so he can now study anything he wants. She tells me that if you get a lesser certificate you can only study for certain degrees? Surely if you pay for the degree you can study anything you want, bar medical degrees. If you fail it's your money you are wasting, surely?

It's unfortunately a lot more complicated than that. Yes there is a points system with minimum scores required for certain degrees but some varsities also require scholars to write the NBT.

In summary having a matric with a bachelor's degree pass does not mean that a scholar will be accepted at varsity.

Can you imagine letting everyone study what they want? It would be impossible to manage demand and supply. Academic resources are finite.
Curt
Curt - Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1849
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 14:05:58

I feel for these matrics. Our life started after school studies, SADF, etc. Now they are entering the mass of unemployed.

Even graduates find them selves in that group more and more.
Tegwane
Tegwane - Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1590
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 14:26:11

On 2020-01-08 14:05:58 Curt said:
I feel for these matrics. Our life started after school studies, SADF, etc. Now they are entering the mass of unemployed.

Even graduates find them selves in that group more and more.

Curt you mention graduates, do you also think some of these 'degrees' that are studied for are flipping meaningless (ie) football pitch management a three year course ffs
Curt
Curt - Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1852
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 14:31:30

@Tegwane yes I agree. Years ago every second kid wanted to become a graphic designer... no work available after studies.

What is needed prior to going to study is job market analyses.
Vrik
Vrik - Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 428
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 17:31:50
Edited: 2020-01-08 17:32:23

Not quite. Because even when you pay full fees, there is still a lot of gov subsidies involved.

Btw, I suspect the higher pass rate is simply lower standards. I guess the exams got a whole lot easier...
Kooni
Kooni - Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 581
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 18:27:49

A lesser certificate allow you to study towards a diploma, or do some or othe Higher Certicate, but not a "lesser" degree. A degree is a degree there is no such thing as a "lesser" degree.

What you do get is a degree, and a then post gradute degree such as a honors, master, doctral,
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Matric
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2020-01-08 20:46:47

You think medical degrees are exempted from this? You must be joking.... I know a shit load of people who bought their places at different universities in RSA and abroad and you think when they get 45 or 48 they don't pay for a pass. Looool.
Its only when they start the practising that they get to grips of the stuff.

Today, money buys ANYTHING. You just need the RIGHT AMOUNT.
Tegwane
Tegwane - Re: Matric
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1593
View Profile
Posted: 2020-01-08 21:56:53

On 2020-01-08 20:46:47 MrSpark said:
On 2020-01-08 12:48:50 Tegwane said: My mates son got his bachelor certificate so he can now study anything he wants. She tells me that if you get a lesser certificate you can only study for certain degrees? Surely if you pay for the degree you can study anything you want, bar medical degrees. If you fail it's your money you are wasting, surely?

You think medical degrees are exempted from this? You must be joking.... I know a shit load of people who bought their places at different universities in RSA and abroad and you think when they get 45 or 48 they don't pay for a pass. Looool.
Its only when they start the practising that they get to grips of the stuff.

Today, money buys ANYTHING. You just need the RIGHT AMOUNT.

Mr Spark my daughter qualified asa GP a few years ago, I can assur NO money changed hands bar her course costs

I am not saying it doesn't happen but my understanding of the robustness of the testing before they get to us, is pretty hectic. My daughter was doing 18 hour days with her study mates

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.